Month: October 2021
Using Finance Industry Recruiters to Find Your Ideal Executive Position
If you are an executive in the finance industry then you have probably worked with an executive search firm at some point. Finance industry recruiters work specifically with companies needing to hire executives in the finance industry. They screen candidates ahead of time so that the business doing the hiring can focus on detailed interviewing. Finance industry recruiters have specialized knowledge of the best companies and positions in the field.
It’s quite common for recruiters to approach executives who are already employed, hoping to lure them into a better position. However, with the finance industry having taken a hit in the past few years due to the economy, there are also many unemployed executives looking for work.
What qualifications are recruiters most interested in as far as the current business climate is concerned? You might be surprised. While technical skills are very important in any field, recruiters are focused on finding executives who can manage people and work well with many different personalities. Interpersonal skills are at the top of the list for that reason. Company employees are sensitive to new management that isn’t able to merge with the business atmosphere.
Other things recruiters are looking for are:
Finance is a volatile industry. Executives need to be confident leaders, willing to make essential decisions without hesitation. Yet they also need to be able to work with a team. It’s a delicate balance.
Financial services recruiters monitor social media sites as part of their searching process. It’s essential for executives to have a social media presence. That means updating your profile on a regular basis, and joining online industry groups and organizations.
Unfortunately lack of ethics has proven to be the downfall for many executives. Companies need to be assured that their executives are not going to do anything that will end up embarrassing them and their shareholders.
There are things you can do to increase your chances of finding a position through a recruiter.
1. Ask contacts for an introduction. Busy recruiters may not notice you if you don’t make the first move.
2. When you do make an appointment to speak, make it a face-to-face meeting, not a phone call. You want them to remember you.
3. Prove yourself to be a good communicator, but don’t over share. This isn’t your buddy – whatever you say can be shared with a future employer.
4. Never go over the recruiter’s head. Always work through the recruiter or you are going to end up with a terrible reputation.
5. Stay in contact even when you have a position. You will be more successful with a long-term relationship than having to start at square one.